Thursday, June 21, 2007

Malaysia

Benefits: Cosmopolitan, very-clean, quality of the transport, night life, taxis use always the metre; no tipping; tolerance zero for drugs

Concerns: Singapore Expensive (similar as Dubai); border control Singapore / Malaysia, high humidity (just 137 km from the equator)

Places visited (& days): 7 days, from the 13th till 21st of June - Singapore (5 days); Kuala Lumpur (2)

Transport (time or distances): Chengdu to Singapore (5 hours flight); Bus from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur (325 km - 5 hours)

Currency: 1 Euro = 2,07 Singapore Dollars (SGD); 1 Euro = 4,66 Malaysia Ringgits (MYR)


There were two reasons to visit Singapore. The first one was to visit some friends who were doing the MBA at Insead (Amelia and Bernardo). The second one, have a contact with one of the Asian economic success



Amelia & Isabel


I had a great time here and for the second time in my trip I had the chance to avoid the hotels and stay at Amelia & Isabel's house (thanks girls, I will never forget your "5 star hotel")

I would like to share with all of you my visit to Singapore, but to my surprise it was more night-life than everything else. Why? I think first of all because I missed it after being on the road for 5 months (just party in Beirut and Dubai). Secondly, because all the MBA's guys have this talent of combining study and fun so there was always someone and something going on.



Japanese Dinner - Claire (France) Bernardo (Portugal), Pedro (The Tuga), Inigo & Fernando (Spain), Brigitte (UK/France), Isabel & Amelia (Portugal)



Carol, Amelia, Inigo, Isabel, Pedro


Nightlife at the the MOS (Music of Sounds) specially on Wednesday was great with their several rooms and therefore different music and people. Zouk was another hot place.



The Tuga, Carol & Pedro (Brazil) at MOS


Sights and other activities that I have visited and done: Asian Civilisation Museum, Night Safari (jungle tour in a tram), Botanic Gardens, Orchard road (walking on the main shopping street); Holland Village (where we had several dinners since it is very close to Insead), Colonial district & the Quays



Singapore view from the Theatres on the Bay



The Raffles hotel - An institution on the island

I did a short break on my journey at Singapore to visit Kuala Lumpur. I left very early one day I came on the evening the day after. It is not that far (325 km - 5h ) and it is possible to get seats on the most luxurious buses, where you can lay back easily and have a good nap.
I probably have done what all tourists do when they arrive at a city and do not have much time to spend: a city tour. It was very good since it gave me a lot of hints for what i would like to do on my second day.



The Sultan Abdul Samad Building - Merdeka Square Kuala Lumpur


Of course I visited the Petronas Tower but I was somehow disappointed since we are not allowed to go further than the sky bridge (just 170 m comparing to the 451,9 m of the Tower). Also, another concern, was the long queue to get tickets. The counter opens at 8.30 and when I arrived at 7.30 there were already more than 50 people waiting!



The Petronas Tower



View of the Petronas Towers from Lake Titiwangsa


An alternative to the Petronas Towers, in my opinion better to have a good city view, is the Menara KL (Kuala Lumpur Tower) which is 421 m and the view deck that we have access to is at 276 m with impressive views, including the Petronas!
On my way back to Singapore I tried to find a bus that could make a stop at Melaka to visit another portuguese fort "A famosa" - but unfortunately could not find any!

3 comments:

Rita said...

Pedro!
a inês mandou-me o link pr o teu blog! eu e o xano ficamos agarrados ao pc a ler as tuas aventuras.... dia 16 de Set faz 7 anos que casámos e estivemos no Quénia e tb em Mombasa em Diani Beach! aquilo é lindo, não é?
espero que estejas bem, agora algures na Austrália ou nos EUA. have fun!
bjos e saudades
Rita Saldanha e Xano

Lorena said...

Com os teus gostos naturalistas pensei que fosses pá Malásia fazer mergulho nas famosas Perhentian Islands.

Acho que tens razão no cosmopolismo das principais cidades, mas só mesmo aí, porque no interior do país encontramos novamente o terceiro mundo.

Das Petronas Towers, a recordação que sempre fica são as filas de espera matinais e nunca a vista (engraçado).

Abraços

? said...

Ganda Patrício!!!

O João e o Vasco falaram-me do teu blog e realmente há q se lhe tirar o chapéu! :)

Grandes aventuras e digo-te q como leitor n me importava nada se incluisses mais detalhes.

Vou experimentar só um bocadinho da tua viagem amanhã, lá para os lados do Everest, só espero n passar pelo mm nas altitudes...

Continuação de uma excelente viagem e vai dando notícias!!!


Abraço,
Nuno Saramago