Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Indonesia (Bali)

Benefits: People (honestly, the best & very customer oriented - probably because tourism represents 40% of Bali's income), Beaches (although some of them with some dark sand!); the weather (for a tropical location, not so humid); cheap (considered that it is a hot tourist destination);

Concerns: Beaches with strong current; The Memorial Wall of the Bomb attack (in 2002, more than 200 people where killed) location is on the main road from Seminyak to Kuta with plenty of bars nearby (and therefore people always drank around!): the traffic by night, mainly because there are few roads and very narrow;
Places visited (& days): 6 days, from the 21st till the 27th June - Seminyak, Legian, Kuta (5 days), tour around the Island (1 day)
Transport (time or distances): Singapore - Bali (2h 15 min by air)
Currency: 1 Euro = 12, 22 Indonesia Rupiahs (IDR)
Funny Experiences : Buying a Portuguese newspaper; Massage with the wrong person


Resor Seminyak Hotel


I stayed at a nice resort called the Resor Seminyak for 6 days. From here I could also cover easily Legian and Kuta which are the main beaches south from Seminyak. It was the right place to recover from Singapore's nightlife and also enjoy my last summer days before going to Australia and New Zealand's winter.



Beach view from the Hotel


Sunset at Semyniak Beach

On the Island the best activities apart from diving and surfing is to visit the rice terraces, mountains, craters and lakes

I booked a one day tour to visit the Rice Terraces at Sideman Road and Tegallalang, Gunung Batur crater, Danau Batur lake, Ubud (the culture city) & Denpasar (to visit a 24 hours market)


On my way to the rice terraces and when we stopped at a traffic light, some kids on the streets tried to sell me some newspapers. I refused, but when they asked me where I was from and I told them"from Portugal", 1 min later one of them came with a Portuguese newspaper (Expresso). Then, when the traffic light came green again and while we were driving slowly, I decided to buy it. Just asked very quickly the price, and I understood immediately that it was expensive but there was no way to say no because I would then feel sorry for the kid. End of the history; I paid a fortune to have that newspaper and when I was starting to read the main titles an checked the date it was from 2 months before!

 

Rice Terraces - Tegallalang


The Tuga at the Danau Batur


Balinese preparing for a festival - Ubud


Coming from the tour, I was exhausted and decided to go for a massage. Since it was already very late, I decided to do it at my hotel. Arriving at the Spa reception, I asked a young woman the price and if I could do it now. She answered "yes" and told me to go to a private room and start to take some of my clothes off. After 5 minutes when I was almost sleeping, I woke up with a strong pain on my back due to the strenght of the massage. It was a man who had just started to do the massage! - I couldn't' believe it!!!

The only reason for not starting having surf classes was that 2 years ago I started to do kite-surfing and since I have still a lot to improve, I thought that for just 2 or 3 days it wouldn' t be worth it (if I have more time I will try then in South America - but definitely in Brazil my priority will be Kite-surf!)

Anyway, even not having done it I enjoy seeing the experts surfing the huge and long waves of Bali!

Surfing in Seminyak

 
There are several restaurants in Seminyak. My favourite ones were the Ku De Ta and the Rumours. Excelent food and nice atmosphere. Even, when I decided not to have dinner at one of them, I had at least a drink before or after dinner.


The Tuga & Lidia, the Public Relation of Rumours


Last night, with Nathalie, a lovely swiss-indonesia girl

4 comments:

Princesa Isabel said...

Pois caríssimo Tuga Pedro vejo que esta viagem está a ser uma real "xatice" e que a cada momento que passa as experiências, encontros e desencontros são cada vez mais entediantes, eh, eh...
Qase aposto que a Austrália vai ser uma xatice ainda maior!!!
Um grande abraço,
Isabel

Lu said...

Olá!!!
Que sitiu de Sonho! As fotografias estão espectaculares!
Cuidado com as massagens!!!Eh!Eh!
Um Grande Beijinho
Continua!!!

xum xum said...

estamos a precisar de mais !!!!
agora que os sedentários já estão adicted não podes deixar de actualizar este fantástico roteiro!
Beijinhos muitos
txmxm

Lorena said...

Será que o Tuga tirou umas férias dentro das próprias féria?

Abraços